Friday, November 8, 2013

The Little White Dress Inspiration

Hey y’all!

Back again, so soon? Yes! It feels so good to be writing again. Thank you, Lord Jesus!

Back to Her Little White Dress…where did it all come from?

After the divorce was final, I had a crazy idea. I had a wedding dress that I no longer needed AND I wanted make sure I thanked everyone who stood by me and helped as I endured the heartache.

The crazy idea came when I sprayed painted “deLinde” (my maiden name) in hot pink across the back of the dress. But before that happened, I rallied my family, bridesmaids, church friends, co-workers and best girlfriends for a couple of parties (one in Arkansas and one in California) so I could say “thank you” to them.

I began by asking everyone to sign a dress that for several years had represented a marriage vow. But now that dress represented something new: God’s provision and promise. Although, I still hurt badly, God was still good and it was time to accept what had happened.  It was time to say goodbye and move forward.

Please know that the intention of this party was not malicious and had NOTHING to do with my ex-husband. It was MY, Jessica Jane deLinde’s, opportunity to thank those around me, say goodbye to an old chapter of my life and toast to a future that I could not even begin to imagine. It’s VERY important to me that you know that.

We did everything you’re not supposed to do to a wedding dress  shut it in the car door, stepped on it, spilled red wine on it, dragged it through the dirt, wrote on it, glittered it up  all of those things.










But before I ruffle anyone’s feathers too much, please keep in mind that we sometimes spend a little too much time and energy on the wedding dress and not enough time and energy on the importance and meaning of the wedding vows  “to have and to hold, in sickness and health, until death do us part.”.

So at that point, that white satin dress no longer represented a kept vow. It represented some hurt and pain, along with God’s goodness, mercy and grace. I was indeed still alive, I had amazing family and friends, and as long as I let God, He would heal my heart and use this for His good.

    
Two and a half years later, it is being used for His good! It’s been the inspiration for this blog and an opportunity to share my story and tell you about how God took such an awful life event and turned it into an encouragement; a story of healing and hope.

Today that Little White Dress is a symbol of God’s grace, forgiveness, and His unfailing love in a girl’s life who could still be a reckless mess. It’s also a reminder on many refrigerator doors that there is a God – and that He forgives, restores, revives and gives second chances.

That little white dress was later turned into hundreds of flowery, satin rose magnets for everyone that has helped, been inspired, or seen the evidence of God’s love through all of this. It is a reminder that God’s perfect love never fails.


On to the next chapter!
xoxo,
Jes
P.S. Want a dress magnet? Post a comment in the box below or send me an email at Jessica.deLinde@gmail.com and I will mail you one.

“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Romans8:28 (NIV)

“He has sent me to tell those who mourn that the time of the Lord’s favor has come. To all who mourn, He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the Lord has planted for his own glory.” Isaiah 61:2a-3 (NLT)

4 comments:

  1. Oh sweet friend.....You are an inspiration in so very many different ways. Love following this story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather!!! It was such a nice surprise to see you comment! xoxo

      Delete
  2. That was a fantastic night and it was definitely NOT malicious! A celebration of the support that God has provided. Cheers girl:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it! I still have my magnets! Such a great way to close that chapter and rejoice in the blessing of good friends and God's provision! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete